What is RubberBond™ EPDM?
RubberBond™ EPDM (Ethylene Propylene Diene Monomer) synthetic sheet rubber membrane is a remarkable material that:
- Repels all moisture, snow and rain
- Is flexible and easily bends with no stress, to follow the contours of the roof, upstands to walls, check curb edges, skylights, pipes, terminations into gutters and the like.
- Can stretch with up to 300% elongation, which easily accommodates building movement.
- Is not affected by extremes of temperature.
- Will not tear, split or crack with age.
- Is unaffected by ozone and UV radiation.
- Is manufactured in large sheet sizes from 3.05 to metres wide and up to 30.5 metres long.
This patented technology laminates a layer of non-woven polyester to the underside of the RubberBond™ EPDM resulting in:
- A thicker stronger product
- Rubberbond EPDM being over twice the thickness of standard EPDM
- 180%* plus greater tear resistance
- 60%* plus greater impact resistance
- There is no shrinkage or stress to cause leaks at laps, flashings, up stands or other angle changes or penetrations
*Greater than standard 1.14-thick EPDM
The NRCA (National Roofing Contractor Association of America) has released the results of the Annual Market Survey, and shows that EPDM reigns supreme in low slope roofing both in New Construction as well as Re-roofing.
NRCA Member Roof System Usage: Low-Slope Roofing
In Europe although market data is not as accurate as they are in the US, EPDM sales are rapidly gaining market share as well.